BROADCAST STORY, 10/11/2019
THE STORY BELOW WAS LAST UPDATED AT 2:30 PM 10/10/2019
A man who was working on utility pole inspections for NIPSCO is dead due to an electrocution incident near Fremont.
The Herald Republican reports that it happened off of S.R. 120 by C.R. 25E — confirming the information shared earlier by Fremont Community Schools, saying that one of their school buses had been requested and was sent to the site of the incident near Peace Lutheran Church to block the scene from public view.
The victim was 29-year-old Cody Griffin of Reed, Kentucky. The Steuben County Coroner’s office confirmed the cause of death was electrocution.
First responders found Griffin apparently already dead, partially situated in a hole in the ground near the base of a pole. Live wires initially prevented them from reaching him, and NIPSCO had to cut off power to those lines so that Griffin could be recovered and identified.
A NIPSCO spokesperson told the Herald Republican that they were notified this morning of the situation. They confirmed that the victim was not a NIPSCO employee, but a contract worker.
The utility had up to 647 power outages related to the fatality, but most customers were back online by Noon.
The coroner’s office continues to investigate.